Like Stars on Earth: A Bollywood Dinner Party
Creamy Chicken Korma
This recipe is adapted from a recipe by Madhur Jaffrey, who is amazing. If you are in need of more Indian recipes, you should check hers out. They’re divine! Anywayyssss, we’ve made this dish really easy by dividing all of the spices into spice mixtures, and we’ve made it not too spicy so that you can add spicy sauce at your discretion! Enjoy!!
Usually we don’t break down the recipes into steps, but we think it makes this recipe easier to follow!
1. Blend the garlic, ginger, almonds and a ½ cup of the water into a smooth paste in food processor.
2. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. When it’s very hot, add SPICE MIXTURE 1 and stir for 10 seconds. Be careful, the cardamom pods may split!
3. Add the onion and cook for several minutes. Reduce the heat to medium once the onions begin to brown.
4. Next add the garlic-ginger-almond paste and stir well for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned.
5. With a spoon, carefully remove all 16 of your cardamom pods and the bay leaves and discard.
6. Add SPICE MIXTURE 2 and stir for 30 seconds, letting all of the spices get friendly.
7. Add tomato puree and stir for another minute.
8. Stir in 1/3 of a cup of creamer and the remaining ½ cup of water.
9. Add your chicken pieces and stir to coat them in the spice paste.
10. Add the chicken stock and bring everything to a simmer, then cover the pan, turn the heat to low and simmer gently for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remember to stir chicken several times while it is cooking.
11. After the chicken is cooked through, add in the remaining ½ cup of creamer and the frozen peas. Stir uncovered and let simmer for a few minutes to thicken the sauce.
12. Add chili-lime sauce to taste (we recommend adding just a little, so that each guest can decide how spicy they want their dish!)
Serve with our delicious biyrani, vegetables, chutneys and naan!
- 12 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/4 cup almond slivers
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 bay leaves
- 16 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 8 cloves
- 2 in piece cinnamon stick
- 2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp salt 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup soy creamer (plus 1/2 cup at the end)
- 2 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 4 lb chicken breast, cut into cubes (ask the butcher to do this for you!)
- 1 cup chili lime garlic sauce