Like Stars on Earth: A Bollywood Dinner Party
We know Indian food can be a bit daunting, if you want to start out with something pretty easy (and delicious) try this recipe! Our Biryani is full of traditional spices and flavor, but we’ve simplified some things. Go on, try it… let us know what you think! You’ll surely impress your friends.
Rinse the rice. Add rice, water, and salt to a large stockpot and cover. Bring to a boil and then simmer over low heat for 50 minutes or until done.
When the rice is almost finished cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan. Sauté the currants, almonds, turmeric, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon stick and garam masala in the butter until the mixture starts to give off a strong aroma.
Once the rice is cooked, combine your sautéed spice mixture with your rice. Stir well.
Vegetables (to serve with the rice)
Most biryani has the vegetables added right into the rice, but obviously, us being veggie heads, we want a larger veggie to rice ratio, so we made ours on the side!
Start by melting the butter in a sauté pan. Once the butter is melted add the garlic and ginger, until it becomes aromatic. Next add the coriander, cumin, garam masala and cardamom. You can start adding your vegetables when the spice mixture becomes nice and fragrant. Start by adding the potatoes, after a few minutes add the carrots. Once the carrots and potatoes become soft add the cauliflower and green beans, cover with a lid until the cauliflower is cooked. Add a bit of salt if you like!
- 1 ½ cups brown basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (we use goat butter)
- ¼ cup currants
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 4 tablespoons butter (we use goat butter)
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 11/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 10 fingerling potatoes cut into quarters
- 4 medium carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons sea salt