I’m going to let you in on a little secret. This is my favorite meal. Any combination of grains, beans, veggies, and dressing, and I’m in heaven. A big bowl of healthy food feels so nourishing and simple and comforting to me. When I cook dinner, it’s often just different variations of this. Feel free to substitute your favorite vegetables, or if you’re not vegan, add some chicken or an egg on top.
Grain Bowl Ingredients:
- 2 cups dry quinoa
- 2 cups cooked beans of choice (we used lima beans)
- 1 cup fresh greens (we used arugula)
- Blistered cherry tomatoes (recipe below)
- Roasted cauliflower (recipe below)
- Fresh herb dressing (recipe below)
Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the package. Combine the cooked quinoa with beans, fresh greens, blistered cherry tomatoes, and roasted cauliflower into four bowls and top with dressing.
- 15 cherry tomatoes
Spread the tomatoes on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Roast at 425 degrees until blistered (about 20 minutes)
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 10 cups florets)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Toss the cauliflower florets in a bowl with the oil, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast for 35-40 minutes at 425 degrees.
Fresh Herb Dressing:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 16 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of ground pepper
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend on high until well combined. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.